Friday, December 11, 2009

Getting to know you-day (and night) one

It is Friday morning around 11:00. Mama Josephine left about 24 hours ago so we have begun in earnest to experience the wonders of twins. We have a working hypothesis that they have a psychic connection, the main purpose of which is to ensure that both never sleep at the same time.

We have of course been taking photos along with some video that I will try to get up soon. There are just more and more pictures of Likabo and Kitoko and it is not clear to me at all how to choose this one or that one to share here. Here is a picture of Kendra and Amari trying out the sling Betsy gave us and once used with Crosby.

We are anxiously awaiting other items for the twins and a change of clothes for Kendra and myself, all of which were left in Johannesburg when we flew in on Wednesday. They are supposed to arrive today. Josephine was kind enough to lend us some basic essentials of blankets and onesies but everything is beginning to smell a little like sour milk.

My father is leaving tomorrow, which seems a bit too soon. He has been showing us around the neighborhood in shifts. Late yesterday afternoon he took me for a short jaunt of less than a block to a small collection of fresh fruit and vegetable stands and a small grocery store. The vendors all know Grandpa Tim and I assume Grandma Suzanne and the introduction of his eldest son produced among other things the marvelous gift of a fresh avocado and a mango from one of the stands.

After dark last night all five of us took what felt like a furtive tour of downtown Kinshasa with the main purpose of memorizing the route to the 24 hour red cross emergency room. Desmond fell asleep immediately so will be absolutely no help navigating should the need arise. We drove past the old MTS travel building where Grandpa Kermit worked some 4 or 5 decades ago. Desmond woke up as soon as we stopped bouncing around on the unlit streets.
This afternoon, Mado, Tim, Kendra and I took Desmond and Amari to the clinic for a check up. With Tim leaving we wanted to make sure that the wheezing and coughing was nothing to worry about. Just kidding! They appear to be in fine health! This is the clinic where they first went to get checked on with Jilma and where their final checkup will be for the US Embassy. They recognized the twins when we walked in the door.

When we got home Apollo had returned from the airport with our luggage. I got to take a cold shower and change clothes. Desmond got to try on a new outfit courtesy of Grandma Yoder.


  1. Precious! Hope you find time to get some rest! I know it is hard to do. Thanks so much for sharing your journey. It brightens my day everytime I see a picture of them!

  2. Thanks for the update! You don't need to worry at all about choosing which photos to share; we'll enjoy seeing whichever ones you pick!

    And you totally tricked me with the coughing and wheezing thing--not funny! :)

  3. I love it! Thank you dear cousin, for the updates!

  4. We're loving the pictures and reading about your experiences. Nate and Libby say "baby" when they see them. Desmond and Amari look so big! Do you know how much weight they gained? And don't worry, by this time next year they'll be sleeping at the same time. Oh wait, maybe that wasn't encouraging. . . :-)

  5. Adorable! Thanks for the update - we are thinking of you all and wishing you the best!